Soak in the culture during the Muskoka summer concert season at these performance venues and musical festivals.
BY LINDA LUONG
Parry Sound’s Stockey Centre hosts some of the region’s best concerts and recitals
CHARLES W. STOCKEY CENTRE FOR THE PERFORMING ARTS
This beautiful timber-framed multi-use facility built in 2003 sits on 3.5 acres of expansive lakefront land, and features a 480-seat performance hall as well as the Bobby Orr Hall of Fame. Legendary country singer Willie Nelson arrives in town on June 18 at the Bobby Orr Community Centre for an exclusive live show with his family. The centre is best known as the home of the annual Festival of the Sound, which has celebrated chamber music since 1979. Running from July 18 to August 11, this year’s lineup includes the New Zealand String Quartet, which honours masterpieces by Beethoven and Brahms on July 24, and the Cecilia String Quartet offering pieces by Haydn on August 1. The festival also offers a “Bach Around Town” program with Baroque music performed at various stages around Parry Sound.
• 2 Bay St., Parry Sound, 705-746-4466; stockeycentre.com
• Map and reviews
photo by Meddygarnet
The Canada Day long weekend brings much excitement to the Muskoka region!
1. Friday, July 1 offers sure cause for celebration in Huntsville, which hosts a bevy of Canada Day activities from morning to night. Among the attractions, Muskoka Heritage Place hosts a strawberry social beginning at 10 a.m. And don’t miss the fireworks display over Hunters Bay, starting at dusk.
2. Also on July 1 (and running to July 3) is the annual Bala Antique and Nostalgia Show, which takes place at Bala Arena. More than 40 vendors set up shop at this event, with everything from vintage country furniture to estate jewellery and collectibles. (more…)
The candy cane fountains at Santa's Village
1. There’s only six months until Christmas! See how Saint Nick’s preparing for his 2011 toy delivery—or perhaps he’s still relaxing in the Muskoka sun—by visiting Santa’s Village, where kids can ride the Christmas ball ferris wheel, cool off under candy cane showers, get crafty in the elves’ workshop and more.
2. Witness the Kee to Bala be transformed into the “dogg pound” as legendary rapper Snoop Dogg enlivens cottage country with his distinctly brand of West Coast hip hop on June 17.
3. If you can handle the black flies and mosquitoes—and really, if you’re in Muskoka, that should be a given—then consider planning a camping trip to really experience the Canadian Shield. Well-known retailers like Algonquin Outfitters and Muskoka Outfitters can equip you with all the latest outdoorsy gear. (more…)
Summer is approaching, and that means the resorts, attractions, restaurants and boutiques of Muskoka are getting set for high season up north! It also means that it’s time for another summer of Where Muskoka’s top things to do in the region. Check back weekly for our fresh picks!
Hit the links at Deerhurst Highlands
1. Book your first tee time of the season at one of Muskoka’s premier golf courses, Deerhurst Highlands. If you’re feeling rusty, take a few hacks on the driving range before heading to the first hole.
2. Take the family to Sudbury’s Science North, where four floors of exhibitions offer a fun and educational introduction to the Canadian Shield biosphere.
3. Stock up on all your cottaging essentials—from watersports equipment to dock and patio furniture—at Port Carling’s Indian River Trading Company. (more…)