April 25, 2016
By Afton Aikens, Ashley Materi & Jen Groundwater
Blast from the Past
Five reasons we love the original antique postcards at Sunny Raven Gallery:
- Cultural History: Images of tent camps, Swiss guides and railway cars give a glimpse into early 1900s life in the Canadian Rockies.
- Labour of Love: Card makers hand coloured black and white images to bring scenes to life.
- Environmental Insight: “I’ve had scientists and biologists buy early cards that show forest cover, and benchmark glacier recession,” says gallery owner Meg Nicks.
- Communication Trends: Messages on early 1900s cards were written in small spaces on the front; only the address went on the back.
- Creative Presentation: Nicks sells framed and unframed cards; choose how you want to display your piece of Canadian Rockies history.