Jan. 21, 2016
By Where Writers
In Jasper, keep the cold out with items from these local shops:
- Totem Ski Shop: Merino wool base layers by Ibex are warm, comfortable and breathable. “They smell fresh even after an active day,” says store manager Victor Vassalo.
- Wild Mountain: The North Face TKA 100 Glacier 1/4 Zip fleece mid-layer offers a soft, relaxed fit. “It’s great for activities or a day in town,” says Catherine Auclair of the store.
- Mountain Air: Canada Goose down jackets come in a variety of lengths for different activities. Store owner Karen Jacobs says, “Even jackets built for -25°C aren’t bulky.”
- Gravity Gear: Icebreaker Merino wool toques have thin fibres that keep you warm and don’t itch. When it comes to hats, Gravity Gear owner Dale Diduck is “all about wool.”
- Edge Control Ski Shop: Seirus Heatwave+ Daze gloves and mitts have back-side Neofleece and reflective layers, and soft, wicking palm-side insulation. They’re “extremely warm,” says store owner Blair Timmins.
- On-Line Sport: Sorel boots are durable and comfortable. On-Line owner Mike Merilovich says, “Many models are waterproof.”