Don’t be fooled by this area’s industrial outlook. Its factories and warehouses have been repurposed as chic studios, restaurants, and retailers, creating a balance between modern urbanity and old-school charm.
School Bakery and Café (photo by Alexandra Grigorescu)
HIGH MARKS From the wall of clocks to the clipboard menus, School Bakery and Café sure knows how to play up its theme. Some of the cocktails are even served in science flasks! Satisfy your comfort food cravings with crowd pleasers like the super cheesy cheddar French toast, plus a variety of salads, sandwiches and a filling brunch spread.
CORNER POCKET Though it’s a hot spot for big events and parties, the Academy of Spherical Arts is open daily for individuals and smaller groups, too. After a delicious meal, head over to one of the antique pool tables—some of which were made in the same building in the early 1900s. (more…)
With digital cameras now an essential travel tool, it’s become a cliché that you’re bound to take almost too many photos on your trip—images that will be scanned through by friends and family and quickly forgotten. Ensure your best shot doesn’t get lost in the shuffle by taking it to 44 Wide. This Liberty Village printing house and gallery offers unique services to help preserve and showcase your images. Its “Camera to Canvas” ($180) service prints your photo on a high-quality 16-by-20-inch canvas that’s then protected, wrapped and mounted by hand. Or opt for “Photo to Frame” ($270), which sets your image in a wood frame and allows you to add your own personal sentiment on the back. No matter how you display it, your picture is sure to look its absolute best—every photo is treated to hands-on enhancement by professional re-touchers.
2. Spirits by Karoo Ashevak (photo courtesy of the Museum of Inuit Art)
1. Crunching into stone-baked pizzas and grilled panini at Café Uno in the the Distillery Historic District.
2. Marveling at finely crafted stone and bone carvings at the Museum of Inuit Art.
3. Horses and llamas and cows (oh my!), plus a giant vegetable competition and more at the Royal Agricultural Winter Fair.
4. Admiring Grace Kelly’s glamourous gowns, Oscar and more at the TIFF Bell Lightbox.
5. Savouring straight-from-the-tandoor-oven naan—alongside chicken tikka and palak paneer—at Little India. (more…)