By Suzanne Rent
• Spindrift Brewing Company on Frazee Avenue in Burnside brews its beers with patience, pure water, and basic ingredients. There’s the Coastal Lager, a full-flavoured amber, Riptide IPL with a blend of American and German hops. And Knotty Buoy is the brewery’s distinctive golden lager. Get a can, four-pack, growler, or keg. Pick up a growler or bring in your own for a refill.
• Good Robot Brewing Company on Robie Street is anything but mechanical. Three college friends produce the brews here, with crafty names such a The Shocking Pink and Ol’ Scurvy Bastard. The retail store also stocks swag such as coasters, growlers, glasses, lamps, and onesies for your little one.
HOME FOR A REST
• A visit to Panache Luxury Linens on Isleville Street is the perfect way to warm up for sleep during the winter months. Find cozy and luxurious linens. Designs include those made in Canada using the high-quality silk, Giza Egyptian cotton, linen and micro modal fabrics, woven by specialty mills in Germany and Italy. The assortment includes foaming bath, soaps, and other beauty products.
• Find inspiration for your home décor with a visit to Thornbloom on South Park Street. Find essentials such as bedding, kitchenware, and furniture, as well as accent pieces, including pillows, frames, and candles. There is something for every room in your house. This is also a great place to find unique gifts.
• The Perfect Fit on Bedford Highway is a consignment store with a special shopping experience. Stocked with designer brands, this shop is perfect for the shopper with great taste and style, but who’s budget conscious, too. Friendly staff will help you find the right fit. Bring in your clothes for consignment, too.
• Foreign Affair on Barrington Street is a mainstay of designer fashion in the city. This is the place to go to be style, and not just shop for clothing. Find the best brand names such as Canada Goose, Helmut Lang, Michael Kors, and dozens of others. An on-site seamstress can make any garment fit to a tee.
Haskap berries are blue, delicious and versatile. They are also packed with vitamins and antioxidants. Haskapa in Bishop’s Landing turns these sweet berries into artisan products such as jams, juices, chocolates and condiments. Pick up items for your own pantry, or choose a gift basket for a friend.
Situated on the Halifax waterfront, NovaScotian Crystal puts on quite a show for its visitors. It’s here highly skilled glassmakers produce the only mouth-blown, hand-cut crystal in Canada. And guests are invited to watch. In the on-site shop, find the products of this craftsmanship, shaped into goblets, bowls, vases, and candleholders.
BEST FOOT FORWARD
• Located in Park Lane on Spring Garden Road, John David Shoes, brings to its clientele the best names in women’s footwear and one of the largest selections in the region, including boots made for autumn walking in style. The seasonal sales are a must-visit. The staff here offers excellent service and knowledge.
• The footwear at Preamble on South Park Street combine comfort and style. Look for brands including Birkenstocks, Camper, Clars, Fit Flop, The North Face, and Wolky. Expert shoe fittings for the best fit.