Manitoba’s agricultural bounty and ingenious entrepreneurs make for many unique, fresh and coveted gourmet products. Pop into these local markets to score amazing culinary treasures and to stumble upon other great Winnipeg food finds.
WINNIPEG FOOD FINDS: STOP #1
Hosts with the most thrive on elevating their grilling game. Get saucy with a bottle of Bon Vivant’s root beer barbeque blend from Miller’s Super Valu Meats. Sweet with a touch of heat, this condiment concocted with old fashioned root beer is great on pork chops and ribs.
• Bon Vivant, 590 St. Mary’s Rd., 204-233-5409, bonvivantbbq.ca
WINNIPEG FOOD FINDS: STOP #2
Over-the-top awesome Italian grocer De Luca’s Specialty Foods has hundreds of house-made and local products to peruse. Score a jar of their house brand Alba basil pesto to enhance everything from pasta to grilled cheese.
• De Luca’s Specialty Foods, 950 Portage Ave., 204-774-7617, deluca.ca
• Map and reviews
[RELATED: 5 Best Spots to Grab a Winnipeg Sausage]
WINNIPEG FOOD FINDS: STOP #3
At Thrive Nutrition & Wellness, discover the healthful power of Solberry Sea Buckthorn Puree (pictured). This vibrant and tart prairie miracle berry is packed with antioxidants, Omega fatty acids, vitamins and carotenoids.
• Thrive Nutritional & Wellness, 775 Corydon Ave., 204-477-1606, thriveonline.ca
WINNIPEG FOOD FINDS: STOP #4
Osborne Village’s Organza Market stocks a sweet variety of Manitoba honey. John Russell creamed blueberry honey is flavoured with Manitoba berries and delights on scones or stirred into hot tea.
• Organza Market, 2A-230 Osborne St., 204-453-6266, organzamarket.com
• Map and reviews
WINNIPEG FOOD FINDS: STOP #5
Tangy and briny with the perfect crumbly texture, Oak Island Acres Goat Dairy’s feta cheese hits all the right notes. Pick up a brick of this locally made cheese at any Vita Health Fresh Market, including the Tuxedo location.
• Oak Island Acres Goat Dairy, 180-2025 Corydon Ave., 204-984-9552, oakislandacresgoatdairy.ca
TRAVELLING TO WINNIPEG? YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
• 5 Stunning Winnipeg Restaurants That Blend Food and Art
• Where to Shop in Winnipeg’s Best 5 Shopping Districts
• The 5 Winnipeg Architectural Marvels You Don’t Want to Miss
• The Best Vintage Stores in Winnipeg