Elevated entertaining begins with a well-equipped pantry, kitchen and dining space. To shop like a chef, visit these local retailers to pick up gourmet preserves, cool tools, and slick servingware.
1. Service with style: These one-of-a-kind fused glass platters are crafted locally and make eye-catching centrepieces. $300, Prairie Stained Glass, 587 Sargent Ave, 204-783‑3223.
2. Throw your favourite fish or meat onto this indoor stovetop smoker for bold flavour year-round. $170, Bosch Kitchen Appliance Centre, 105‑2800 Pembina Hwy, 204-275‑2617.
3. Protect your paws with pretty printed oven mitts featuring sweet treats. $17, Sweet Impressions, A‑268 Tache Ave, 204-237‑0743.
4. On dinner tables dressed to impress, forks and knives sport fashionably asymmetric tines. ‘Gammet’ 20-piece flatware set,$110, EQ3, 1554B Portage Ave, 204-988‑6905.
5. When frozen, granite scotch rocks chill whisky while maintaining its integrity. Set of 6, $30, D.A. Niels Kitchenware & Restaurant Supplies, 485 Berry St, 204-953‑2345.
6. Sticky and sweet made-in-Manitoba saskatoon berry jam features fruit of the prairies. $7, Tall Grass Prairie Bread Company, 859 Westminster Ave, 204-783‑5097; The Forks Market, main floor, 204-957‑5097.
7. Gear up little ones for playful mealtimes with a set of construction cutlery. $8 per utensil, A Child’s Place, St. Vital Centre, 204-257‑5289; Grant Park Shopping Centre, 204-284-7633.
8. These chemical-free and planet-friendly Colombian clay pots are at home in the oven, on the stove, at the table, and even in the dishwasher. $90 by 18Karat, These Four Walls, 167 Stafford Ave, 204-452‑5786.
9. Try adding rosewater, lime zest, or cocoa to this versatile whipped cream dispenser to create the perfect drink or dessert topping. $52, Russell Food Equipment, 951 Erin St, 204-775-8835.