When the sun is high in the sky Winnipeggers pour out of skyscrapers to dine al fresco on downtown streets. Enterprising food trucks and local lunch legends dish up delectable grub on the go:
1. Travelling Mexican food truck El Torrito Taco & BBQ serves trios of soft beef or chicken tacos with fresh salsa and lime to droves. Outside 360 Portage Ave at lunch, @ElTorrito1, 204-298-5949.
2. Look for Lovey’s BBQ Hog Mobile parked on Broadway Avenue at noon (almost) every Friday. The bright red truck draws crowds with wafting aromas of meats cooked low and slow. Pulled pork is their signature, while the leaner chipotle chicken wrap also impresses. Broadway Ave. at Kennedy St. at noon on Fri., @LoveysBBQ, 204-233-7427.
3. Another pulled pork palace, White Star Diner delivers big taste to go (only four dine-in seats). Succulent sandwiches are laden with tangy coleslaw. Dare to try the Double Oink, with bacon strips. 58 Albert St., 204-947-6930.
4. Grab a Reuben to go from Oscar’s Deli, where the classic sandwich is piled high with corned beef smothered in sauerkraut and melted Swiss cheese with a side of creamy potato salad and a pickle. 175 Hargrave St., 204-947-0314.
5. For generations, the take-out-only VJ’s Drive Inn has swarmed with grease hounds looking for a burger fix with a side of fries. A version of this city’s iconic Fat Boy (always loaded with chili and classic fixings) resides here as the VJ Special. 170 Main St., 204-943-2655.