Jan. 21, 2016
By Where Writers
In Jasper, keep the cold out with items from these local shops:
- Totem Ski Shop: Merino wool base layers by Ibex are warm, comfortable and breathable. “They smell fresh even after an active day,” says store manager Victor Vassalo.
- Wild Mountain: The North Face TKA 100 Glacier 1/4 Zip fleece mid-layer offers a soft, relaxed fit. “It’s great for activities or a day in town,” says Catherine Auclair of the store.
- Mountain Air: Canada Goose down jackets come in a variety of lengths for different activities. Store owner Karen Jacobs says, “Even jackets built for -25°C aren’t bulky.”
- Gravity Gear: Icebreaker Merino wool toques have thin fibres that keep you warm and don’t itch. When it comes to hats, Gravity Gear owner Dale Diduck is “all about wool.”
- Edge Control Ski Shop: Seirus Heatwave+ Daze gloves and mitts have back-side Neofleece and reflective layers, and soft, wicking palm-side insulation. They’re “extremely warm,” says store owner Blair Timmins.
- On-Line Sport: Sorel boots are durable and comfortable. On-Line owner Mike Merilovich says, “Many models are waterproof.”
Active Outdoor Wear for Kids
Have a mountain mini-me? Shop for pint-sized gear:
- Helly Hansen: The toasty warm, water repellent Junior Luna Puffy jacket has down and fibre fill, and a detachable hood.
- Patagonia: Snowshot and Snowbelle ski jackets and pants have an H2No waterproof, breathable membrane; they attach together. This gear’s ‘grow-fit’ system stretches as your little one grows.
- Scallywags: Kushies’ Blue Banana Bunting Bag with built-in thermometer is a one-piece snowsuit for zero to three and three to six months.
- The North Face: Half the size of its adult equivalent, the Youth Recon Squash Backpack has an internal zipper pocket perfect for snacks.
Stay warm with the Sugar Pine Co.’s help. Knit a super-cute Hudson Hat; the beginner-friendly pattern is free with your yarn purchase. How about a cozy quilt? Customers are snapping up the elegant, contemporary-hued Brimfield quilt pattern, an easy design that can be sewn in a weekend.
Wrapped in Heritage
Wild Goose Trading carries Canada’s largest selection of Woolrich; the brand’s clothing and blankets have provided warmth and rugged good looks since its Pennsylvania woollens mill opened in 1830. Blankets with vintage patterns can be spotted in films that strive to be historically authentic, like American Civil War epics Gettysburg and Cold Mountain, as well as Robert Redford’s The Horse Whisperer.
>> For more Canadian Rockies activities, shops, restaurants and entertainment, read our digital magazine.