By Jack Newton
Fat tire bikes are the winter toy you have to try. You float atop the snow thanks to the wide, large volume and low pressure tires.
Marc Vien at Jasper Source for Sports suggests sticking to packed trails like the Mina-Riley Lake Loop, the Athabasca River Trail on the river’s south bank or anywhere that is frequented by snowshoers. (Avoid cross-country ski trails.) Fat-biking is a great winter workout; even an hour will leave you “pretty pummeled,” Vien says.
- Freewheel Cycle: 618 Patricia St, 780-852-3898
- Jasper Source for Sports: 406 Patricia St, 780-852-3654
- Snowtips 225 Bear St, 403-762-8117
- Rebound Cycle, 902 Main St, 403-678-3668
- Trail Sports, Canmore Nordic Ctr, 403-678-6764
>> For more Canadian Rockies activities, shops, restaurants and entertainment, read our digital magazine.