March 15, 2016
By Where Writers
Read on for some of our favourite places to escape chilly weather.
The Fenlands Banff Recreation Centre: Get your ice time in at public skates Sunday to Thursday. The $20 drop-in learn-to-curl class (Wednesdays, 6:30 to 8:30 pm) includes gear.
The Banff Centre: See top international talent at a music, dance or theatre performance. Coming up soon (March 26), Royal Winnipeg Ballet’s Going Home Star: Truth & Reconciliation portrays a First Nations woman in a life of youthful excess.
Lux Cinema: Catch a flick at the Bow Valley’s independent (and only) movie theatre.
Stoney Nakoda Resort & Casino: Try your luck at the Alberta Rockies’ only casino.
Best Live Music Venues:
- Wild Bill’s: Popular bands from country to rock play this Banff saloon Thursday to Saturday. Karaoke, DJs and mechanical bull rides fill the rest of the week.
- Banff Rose & Crown: Local and travelling bands play classic rock to alternative, nightly from 10 pm.
- St. James’s Gate: Bands from Celtic to classic rock perform Thursday to Saturday at Banff’s Irish pub.
- Communitea Café: This Canmore spot offers indie gig nights in an intimate club atmosphere.
- Good Earth Coffeehouse: Singer-songwriters play in Canmore most Fridays at 7:30 pm.
>> For more Canadian Rockies activities, shops, restaurants and entertainment, read our digital magazine.