It’s no secret that Banff National Park is a stunning place and a worldwide tourist destination. But is Banff Canada’s top tourist destination?
Certainly, the 3.5 million people who visit the park annually like it! And, in recent years Banff has won many prestigious travel awards:
• National Geographic Magazine: One of the World’s 25 Best Ski Towns
• World Travel Awards: World’s Best Travel Experience by Train (Rocky Mountaineer)
• Travel Agents Choice Award: Top Domestic Attraction
• US News Travel: One of the Top Ten Best Winter Vacations
• TripAdvisor: #1 of Canada’s Top Ten Food & Wine Destinations
• TripAdvisor: Travelers’ Best Destination Awards – #1 amongst the top 25 destinations in Canada
• Switchback Travel: #1 on their world’s Top Ten Adventure Destinations list
• Lonely Planet: #2 on their Top Ten Masterpieces of the Natural World
It’s evident that Banff National Park is one of Canada’s (and the world’s) top tourist destinations. National Geographic Magazine called Banff “one of the few places on Earth where you can walk out of a hip nightclub and two blocks later bump into a grazing bull elk (seriously).” They also rave about the park’s international eateries, museums, historic hotels and mountain hot springs.
Tourism is Banff’s economic driver. Since Banff is one of Canada’s top tourist destinations is so vital to the community, Banff authorities prepared a ‘destination competitiveness’ initiative that suggested positioning the park as “Canada’s Alpine Adventure” and a “cool place” for outdoor activities.
Over the years Banff National Park has established itself as a top ski destination and great place to visit in the summer. The view just about anywhere in the park is simply spectacular. Indeed, the Rocky Mountains themselves attract crowds and contribute to Banff (potentially) being the best place to visit in Canada.
Do you think Banff National Park is one of Canada’s top tourist destinations? Tell us why in the comments below or on Twitter @whererockies.