Raise your glass to toast the arrival of Edmonton’s first annual Craft Beer Festival, debuting Friday, June 14, 2013 (4 pm – 10 pm) and Saturday, June 15, 2013 (2 pm – 9 pm) at Edmonton Expo Centre (7515-116 Ave.).
Whether you’re a beer aficionado who’s looking for the newest releases, or you have no idea what IPA stands for (or even that it’s a type of beer!), this is a great event to learn more about how to enjoy craft beer!
5 Reasons to Attend Edmonton Craft Beer Festival:
1. Try Something New! Think you don’t like beer? Think again! With over 425 beers from breweries around the world available, the Edmonton Craft Beer Festival will present the opportunity to taste beers people may not have ever tried before. You’re certain to find something that suits your taste! “Even someone who thinks they don’t like beer will find something to suit them and those who are set on their personal preferences are likely to find a new favorite” Alberta Beer Festivals judge Dave Nuttall claims. So many breweries have signed up that this will be the largest craft beer festival in Canada, outside of Toronto!
2. Exclusive Sips! Several breweries will have sample of exclusive, limited-edition beers that will only be available at the festival — Ribstone Creek Brewery (Edgerton, AB), for instance, is brewing a limited-edition IPA exclusively for the Alberta Craft Beer Festivals. WHERE Edmonton sampled their Buckin’ Bronco IPA at the Calgary International Craft Beer Festival, and it was delicious! Flavourful without being too dry or bitter, this beer will intrigue beer newbies and equally satisfy fans of IPAs. Beer Geeks shouldn’t miss out on the opportunity to try some rare and unique brews!
3. Learn! Enjoy a Brew Masters Seminar to learn about the various properties, characteristics, and flavours of beers from top brew masters — some who have travelled from as far away as Europe to present! “This is a rare opportunity to speak with brew masters you wouldn’t otherwise get the chance to,” says Mark Kondrat, Project Manager of the festival. “This truly is an international festival and Edmontonians should be very proud to host such a prestigious event.”
4. Have Your Beer and Eat It, Too! Attend a “Cooking with Beer” seminar and learn how to pair foods with beer — just like with wine! — and how to prepare foods using beer as an ingredient. “Beer really is more versatile than any other beverage when it comes to pairing with foods,” says Kim Spence, Alberta Beer Festivals judge.
5. Eat! Over 25 local restaurants will have delicious food samples available to try and pair with your beer during the event.
Single-day tickets are $19 in advance; Weekend passes are $29; Beer Geek VIP tickets (allow early admission and guaranteed seminar seating) $25 single-day, or $35 weekend-pass. Tickets are available online, at all Sobey’s grocery stores in Edmonton and surrounding areas, and single-day tickets will be available at the door for $25. Sample tickets are $0.50 and available at the event. More Info: edmontoncraftbeerfest.com
WHERE Edmonton has 10 tickets for each day of the Edmonton Craft Beer Festival to give away to our readers!
To enter: Follow @whereedmonton on Twitter and tweet us the name of your favourite craft beer and/or microbrewery! Be sure to direct your tweet to @whereedmonton. Enter any time through June 9, 2013. Draws will be made at random between April 8, 2013 and June 10, 2013; winners will be announced on Twitter. Each Twitter account may win only once.