For four days every spring, it’s not unusual to see wizards, superheroes, princesses, and time travelling doctors wandering the streets of downtown Calgary and taking public transit. When costumed folk of all ages begin to appear, it means that the Calgary Comic and Entertainment Expo is underway!
Costumes are encouraged at the main event itself (April 27-30), but also during the free Parade of Wonders on April 28, 2017. Dress your best and join thousands of other costumed Calgarians, visitors, and media guests as they parade down Stephen Avenue (between 8 St SW and Olympic Plaza) for thousands of spectators. You can also marvel at some elaborate costumes during the Calgary Expo Costume Contest or Kids Costume Showcase on April 29, 2017 (included with admission). If you take a selfie wearing a costume on the CTrain during Calgary Expo and share it on social media (and tag @CalgaryTransit), you’ll be entered to win a pack of 25 transit tickets.
If you want to dress up for the parade or Calgary Expo, here are some tips for putting together an easy costume based on this year’s media guests:
- Canuck Amusements and Costume Shop brings in extra costumes and accessories for this time of year, while Chuckles and The Costume Shoppe stocks amazing costumes year-round. No matter what you want to dress up as, the friendly staff at these local stores will be able to help you put together a stunning costume!
- The most controversial (yet appropriate) costume would be to don an Edmonton Oilers jersey! While local Calgary Flames fans might not take to kindly to your costume, media guest (and notable Oilers fan) Kevin Smith will surely approve.
- Hit up a vintage store (or your parents’ basement) and find a boombox and a brown trench coat and you’re good to go as John Cusack‘s character Lloyd from Say Anything. Best of all, you can wear sweatpants and running shoes to complete the look.
- The brown trench coat will also work for playing The Tenth Doctor from Doctor Who. It’s not quite the look The Twelfth Doctor (media guest Peter Capaldi) dons, but you can bet all different iterations of doctor costumes will be on display.
- Raiding vintage and second hand stores (or maybe your own closet) for ’90s-style baggy shirts, plaid, and jeans is all you need to channel the style of Boy Meets World stars Will Friedle and Rider Strong.
- Visit the gift shop at Telus Spark for Star Trek clothing and accessories in celebration of Star Trek: The Starfleet Academy Experience on display until June 4. Then head over to Calgary Expo to see Star Trek alumni Garrett Wang and Colm Meany.
- Don that Princess Jasmine costume you bought in Disneyland or at the Disney Store — the voice of Jasmine, Linda Larkin, will be at Calgary Expo Thursday through Sunday.
- Find some classy menswear — suspenders, a brown dress shirt, khakis, boots — and voila, you’re Captain Malcolm Reynolds (aka media guest Nathan Fillion) from Firefly. Bonus points for his signature brown coat (and be sure visit the Alberta Browncoats Society at booth #200 at the Calgary Expo).
- Classic vampire and zombie looks will get a revival (get it?) in popularity with stars James Marsters from Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Steven Yeun from The Walking Dead in attendance. Just note that most vampire and zombie weapons, and other potentially dangerous props, are not allowed, as per Calgary Expo’s prop policy.
- Transform yourself into a comic book character with the help of local, talented makeup artist Lianne Moseley. Lianne books up quickly around Calgary Expo but if you can get an appointment she can transform you into your favourite 2D character, no costume required.
Want to attend the Calgary Comic and Entertainment Expo? We have a contest until April 13, 2017. to win two four-day passes! Click here for more information and to enter.